This easy Cauliflower Shrimp Fried Rice is a lightened up, low carb version of the classic Chinese dish and is packed with veggies and even more flavor.
Jump to Recipe keyboard_arrow_down
MyWW® SmartPoints™ New!
Cauliflower Shrimp Fried Rice Recipe
There is nothing better than finding a healthier version of a dish that you love and this Cauliflower Fried Rice with Shrimp is exactly that! Made with juicy shrimp, low carb cauliflower rice, ginger, garlic, and plenty of vegetables, this is a dish you will make again and again. Serve it with some Low Carb Kung Pao Chicken or Moo Shu Beef Stir Fry for a healthy takeout meal at home.
Cauliflower is king when it comes to healthier and low carb rice dishes with its adaptable flavor and rice-like texture. One of the best things to do with it, in my opinion, is making cauliflower fried rice. While cauliflower rice on its own can feel bland, it turns into something crave-worthy when it gets fried with shrimp, ginger, garlic, veggies, and soy sauce. The cauliflower gets slightly browned, nutty, and takes on a whole new flavor. If you aren’t sure about cauliflower rice, trust me, this recipe will change your mind.
The other thing I love about making cauliflower fried rice with shrimp is that it is extremely versatile. You can basically grab whatever veggies you have at home, some pre-made cauliflower rice, fresh or frozen shrimp, and in less than 20 minutes have a healthy meal on the table. We normally eat it for dinner the first night I make it and then pack up the leftovers for easy lunches. It also makes a great filling for lettuce wraps and I also love it cold over a big bed of greens.
Recipe Ideas and Tips for Cauliflower Shrimp Fried Rice
- Swap veggies: Try this recipe with all your favorite vegetables to switch up the flavors. Try swapping in bok choy for the cabbage, adding snap peas for some sweetness, or going for a more classic take with carrots and peas. Other favorites include green beans, asparagus, broccoli, and baby corn.
- Make it spicy: If you love spice, consider adding some Sriracha to the dish when you are sauteing the ginger and garlic. You could also use a fresh jalapeno or some Chinese chili oil.
- Add bacon: Everything tastes better with bacon and this fried rice is no exception. Crisp up some turkey or pork bacon to add extra flavor to the dish.
- Try an alternative rice: If cauliflower rice isn’t your favorite, you could also make this with broccoli rice or cabbage rice. If you aren’t looking for a low carb recipe, this works great with cooked brown rice, quinoa, or white rice as well.
- Make it heartier: For a more filling dish, you can bulk it up with some cooked brown rice or quinoa. If you need it to be low carb or keto, consider adding a pound of browned ground turkey or ground sausage to add more protein.
- Leave out the egg: If you don’t like eggs in your fried rice, simply leave it out. The rice will still turn out delicious.
The Best Way to Make Cauliflower Rice
There are lots of different ways to make cauliflower rice and also plenty of great store-bought options if you don’t feel like making it from scratch. Here are the best options:
- Food processor: Start by cutting the cauliflower down into florets and then add them to the food processor, making sure not to overpack it. You may need to work in batches. Pulse the cauliflower until it forms rice-sized pieces. Repeat as needed.
- Box grater: If you don’t have a food processor, you can also make cauliflower rice using a box grater. Carefully grate the cauliflower with the medium to large holes of the grater to form rice-like pieces.
- Store-bought: The easiest option is to go with a store-bought cauliflower rice. There are options with the fresh produce, frozen vegetables, and now even shelf-stable options. Any will work. For frozen cauliflower rice, make sure to defrost first and press out any excess water for the best results.
How long will cauliflower fried rice last in the fridge?
This will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days in an airtight container. It can be reheated in the microwave or in a skillet. Be careful when reheating not to overcook because the shrimp will become rubbery and tough. If needed, add some extra soy sauce before serving.
Can cauliflower rice be frozen?
Generally speaking, I find that this cauliflower shrimp fried rice recipe doesn’t freeze well due to the cooked shrimp. If you think you will want to freeze it, it is best to do so without the shrimp. The fried rice will freeze well on its own and can stay in the freezer for 3-4 months. Then simply cook up some fresh shrimp to add before serving when you reheat the frozen fried rice.
How to quickly defrost shrimp?
If you using frozen shrimp for this recipe, you can quickly defrost it by running it under cold water in the sink. Place the shrimp in a large bowl and let cold water run over the shrimp for 5-10 minutes until defrosted. Then drain in a colander and try with a towel.
It is best not to cook frozen shrimp without defrosting them since the outside will cook and the inside will remain raw.
Looking for more cauliflower rice recipes?
Get more recipes like this
Subscribe to our mailing list and get delicous recipes and updates to your email inbox.
Thank you for subscribing.
Oops...Something went wrong.